Chances are if you’re like most other women, you’ve always wanted larger eyes. While we can’t change our genetic make up, the good news is we can create the illusion of larger eyes with eye makeup tricks and tips. In fact, if you’ve ever noticed a celebrity photographed without makeup you most likely have noticed how much smaller their eyes look than their photos where they are all dressed up and made over for most red carpet events.
Make Eyes Appear Larger With These Simple Makeup Tips
- Curl Your Lashes– One of the easiest secrets to utilizing eye makeup routine to correctly make your eyes look larger is to curl your eyelashes. It’s important you curl your lashes BEFORE you apply the mascara! If you forget to do it before applying your dark mascara, be sure to wait until the mascara has dried completely and then go ahead and curl them.
- If you find throughout the day your lashes aren’t as curled as they were in the morning when you first applied your makeup, you can always re-curl them later in the day since your mascara will be very dry by then.
- Apply Mascara on Your Bottom Lashes– Many women think they don’t need mascara on their bottom eye lashes. However, most makeup experts believe adding mascara to the lower lashes can help to enlarge their appearance. The trick is to know how much to use on those bottom lashes! Start by applying the mascara to the top lashes. Then, with whatever is left on your brush (without redipping it into the mascara formula), apply it to the lower lashes. Hold your brush vertically and sweep it back and forth over the lower lashes to get the right look.
- False Lashes for Evening– If you want to go for a dramatic dark night time effect, you may want to try your hand at false lashes. Most celebrities do use false lashes for big events. If you know how to do the lash application properly, they can be beautiful and natural. Many larger department stores can help you learn how to apply lashes at one of their cosmetics and beauty products counters but they are also available at drugstores. Be sure to practice before your big event. You can also remember to use scissors to trim them (before applying them)if they are too long.
- Use White Eye Liner in the Right Places– Another technique to use involves the creamy white eye liner pencil. This can help you get a doe-eyed style that will brighten and widen your eye appearance. To get this look, simply line the lower inside of your lids with the creamy white eye pencil. Make sure to use a soft pencil to lessen the irritaion on your lid. You can find great liners from Sephora, Loreal or Estee Lauder. To further brighten your eye area, use this soft color also on the inside corner of both the upper and lower lids.
- Apply Highlight Eye Shadow– If you don’t like the idea of the white shade of liner, you can also use a platinum highlighter to open up the eye area. Simply apply your shadow as usual and then use the highlighter on small dots along your browbone just below your eyebrow. Blend it in with the shadow in that area, apply it to the inner corners of the eyes and enjoy your new look.
- Keep Eye Brows Plucked & Well Shaped – For larger appearing eyes, you must also pay attention to your brows. Be sure you manicure them well. It’s a great idea to visit a professional to get your brows waxed, tweezed or threaded. A pro can help you shape them properly. In between pro visits you can maintain them by tweezing. If you have a slight arch to your brows, you will find your eyes look larger.